Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Red dinosaurs and green dinosaurs

 There are a lot of books strewn about.  Most of them are gaping open, their pages spilling over each other.  The words I am writing are filling up notebook after notebook, more and more goes into them.  I'm submerged in words, Latin and Greek roll off my tongue as natural as can be but I haven't spoken to a friend in months.  I'm living out the cliche of the scholar.  I wouldn't notice, I wouldn't miss, I wouldn't enjoy, are the openings to my thoughts about my family and those who would be my friends if it weren't for my books and writing.  They describe me as single minded, focused, determined and obsessed.

I can't stop.  I feel like I will forget, like I won't know how to begin again the next day.  Every night I worry about waking up without being able to research and write about my dinosaurs.  My dinosaurs, did you catch that.  As if they belong to me.  It's getting worse and I'm not sure I can fix it on my own.  The more time I spend with the books, the more research I do the more accolades I get from peers.  Affirmative articles in my beloved journals.  My friends can say the exact same things but I don't hear it.  I need to read it from other Doctors.  Actually, it's been awhile since there was such an article.  More than a year I'd say.  I'm working on my best theories yet, I say to myself.  I'm working much harder than ever.  If there were a Nobel prize given in paleontology I'd be getting it.  See I'm working on determining dinosaur colour from the fossil record.  It came to me many years ago.  I had been working tirelessly for many days.  Staring at fossil after fossil sorting them by species.  Then all of the sudden I realized that I had begun to sort the fossils from the same species by colour.  Now I know what you are going to say, colour is not preserved in the fossil record.  I thought so too until I began to see it.  Now I can glance at what remains of reptiles from 65 million years ago and tell you about the unseen rainbow.

The problem is that although it is my best work to date, it is unrecognized.  No one will acknowledge that I am a pioneer in a new field of paleontology what I have been calling paleopigmentology.  So I am alone and isolated, but I'm with my books so I'm not abandoned.

No comments: