Sunday, January 27, 2013

Teething

I prepare a carefully selected menu.  It is flavourful, textured and balanced.  The high chair is set up, the baby is strapped in.  The meals for the rest of the family are almost ready, we're getting good at this I don't dare to think.  I begin to fed the baby.  Two spoonfuls in and the screaming starts.  OK, you want the spoon.  Here have a pea you can put in your own mouth.  Another?  More screaming.  Alright, what about airplane noises?  Great and a second time, more screaming.  Got it, carrots from my plate, excellent and another?  No Way!  What if I put your food on my plate.  Two bites later more screaming.  Alright I'll make up some infant gruel, four bites of that then screaming time.  I have about half my dinner left but am no longer hungry, I take the tired swollen screaming baby out of the high chair and straight into a warm bath.  Ah, no more screaming, just happy splashing and laughing.  Little bits of carrot are flying out with each laugh.  Next time we want a family dinner we can have it with the baby in the bath.

No comments: