Monday, January 14, 2013

Winter Walk

The trees and fog mean that I move slowly through the woods.  That's fine by me.  It's beautiful on this walk.  I'm catching glimpses of sun through the canopy of leaves above me.  I haven't seen a single bird, not even a flash of feathers.  I can hear various kinds of birds all around, thrashes, grosbeaks, warblers and waxwings among others I’m sure.  I can't tell which is which, I can only identify them by sight, which is of no use yet as I haven't seen a single one.  I checked out tapes from the library, "how to identify song birds by their song."  They sit, unheard, on the coffee table at home.  

The trees are clearing as I continue, I must be coming to the end of the loop.  Back to the parking lot, my car then home.  I can relive some of the experience by listening to the bird call tapes at home.  Otherwise I will just have to wait until next weekend, when I can again get out into the trees and birds.  I’m planning the next trip, where I’ll head to, as I emerge into the gravel parking lot.  I walk to my car, one of a handful and unlock the door.  I look up at the sky just in time to see a crow fly over head, it is headed back to the city, I follow.

No comments: