Sunday, January 27, 2013

Rideau Canal

I love skating on the canal.  It is the best thing there is to do in Ottawa, by far.  My favourite time to go is a busy Saturday afternoon.  When it is cold and sunny.  I love to watch adults learning to skate.  How they came to by on the canal I don't know, maybe they are visiting, or here for work or are new to Canada or maybe they just never learned when they were younger.  Whatever the reason, when I see them all bundled up, wobbling around with the biggest smiles on their faces, I couldn't be happier for them.  Skating is the best.
The actual ice on the canal is generally awful.  I've been skating on it when the ice is great lots of times, but mostly the ice conditions are pretty bad.  It needs to be really cold, -20C or colder at night and no warmer than -10C during the day.  They need to flood the ice each night and brush it off everyday.  It's pretty labour intensive but can contribute to a magical experience.  Like late at night, when no one is around and it's really cold and quite.  I love skating on the canal.

No comments: